Friday, June 22, 2012

Dirt poor, but the glass is half full.

Small isolated town, very low income, can a mommy still be creative & happy? You betcha!

Have you ever searched for design ideas for small spaces & on a shoestring budget? The results are mostly medium to large spaces with modest to large budgets. Quite frustrating for someone like me. Where do you find practical advice for decorating a 690 square foot 43 year old mobile home? You don't find much. A tiny home & yard for a busy husband & creative mother of 2 young girls is a challenge to maximize efficiency & beauty.A challenge that I enjoy & I will share with you.
With these hard economic times, I'm sure I'm not the only one living on way less than before. Maybe this blog can help or inspire some of you to make the most of what you have. After all, life is happening now. Don't waste it wanting another. Someone else would appreciate to have all that you have. Let's have fun!

So I'm gonna start by laying out our floor plan. An accurate plan is crucial to decorating space for me. Every place I have ever lived, tiny apartment to suburb house, I've drawn up the plans for it. Have to know what you are working with to maximize it's use.


I hand drew this plan on three sheets of graph paper glued to poster board & then foam board. It is about 13" x 26". The furniture is drawn on graph paper then glued to stiff board (like a Ritz box) then cut out. That way I can move the pieces around.
We bought this 1969 mobile home, with addition, 4 years agofor $2000. It was a mess. We completely gutted & rebuilt the kitchen & bathroom with Home Depot sales. It took about 2 years to get it normal.
Currently my husband is replacing walls & ceiling in the addition. That gives me a new opportunity to re paint the girl's playroom. Lots of ideas in mind. We'll cover them next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment